Saturday, February 19, 2005

Plainfield PMUA Sucks

Plainfield NJ used to have garbage collection done by private companies that had to compete with each other. Garbage collection cost about $30 a month.

A few years ago Plainfield kicked out all the garbage collection companies and instituted the Plainfield Municipal Utilities Authority (PMUA). All Plainfield residents are forced, by law, to use the PMUA for their garbage collection. Now instead of paying $30 a month, we pay $240 every 3 months.

This wouldn't be so incredibly bad if they provided good service.

Over the Christmas holidays, they didn't bother to pick up garbage on the Friday before Christmas, and on the Friday before New Years. So garbage pickup happened once a week for two weeks rather than twice a week.

This type of scheduling shows no regard for public health issues.

Yesterday was garbage pickup day. My garbage can was at the curb on time. They came. They took one bag of garbage out of my can. They left the other bag of garbage in the can.

For this kind of service I am paying more than double what a competitive private company used to charge me.

I am SO impressed!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tina Rock said...

A few years ago I went through the extensive process of dumping the PMUA and getting a private hauler to take my garbage (Grand Sanitation). I am once again paying about $30 a month to have my garbage taken away. They do a better job than PMUA.

However, I still have to pay the PMUA for "shared services" whatever that is. And for sewer usage. So they are still getting their pound of flesh from me.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So now in 2023 the City of Plainfield finally got tired of the PMUA and got rid of them and expanded City Government to have a Department of Waste Services or something. I still have to pay for shared services, to them now instead of the fired PMUA. And I still use Grand Sanitation. And I am still saving some money over what the Plainfield Peons pay.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home